Period: November 2001 – March 2003
Customer: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), USA
Beneficiary: SS Khmelnitskiy NPP
Generally, the project was performed to determine a frequency of Khmelnitskiy NPP Unit 1 reactor core damages with regard to internal initiators.
The following activities were performed within the framework of the project’s Part 1:
- preliminary analysis of primary and secondary success criteria;
- analysis of thermal and hydraulic calculations’ applicability to the basic power unit (Zaporizhzhia NPP Unit 5) with regard to KhNPP Unit 1 PSA goals;
- ISA preliminary identification and grouping;
- preliminary analysis of accident scenarios (events tree);
- preliminary analysis of systems (failure trees) for safety systems (under PSA terminology) and support systems.
While performing the project, a great attention was focused on transferring the state-of-the-art safety analysis techniques to the Khmelnitskiy NPP staff; the workshop on PSA Level 1 was delivered, the plant personnel was actively involved into the activities (the so called ‘on-the-job training’).
Head of Nuclear and Physical Calculations Department
Dmytro V. Koniaiev
Tel. +38 (04579) 2 30 78
Fax +38 (04579) 2 81 44