Project objective: research distribution of radionuclides that fell out after the Chornobyl accident based on construction materials profile (concrete, brick, asphalt, etc.).
Within the framework of the project:
The activities to sample construction materials (white and red brickwork, glazed piles and paver, concrete covering of walls and asphalt-paved road) were performed with the objective to analyze radionuclides contents (137Cs and 90Sr).
As a result of the research, the following facts were discovered:
- General density of radionuclides contamination is rather high and almost coincides with the density of soil contamination within the sites, where the sampling was performed.
- There is a significant difference between the density ratios of materials’ radiocesium and radiostrontium surface contamination.
- Peculiarities of radionuclides distribution along depth of the construction materials depend on a material type and on a radionuclide.
- There are significant differences in contamination of a material near-surface layer.
- The characteristics of construction materials that may have an influence on distinctive features of their radioactive contamination.
Acting Director General
Mykhailo D. Bondarkov
Tel. +38 04579 2 44 88
Fax +38 04579 6-15-62